Distracted by something shiny.

Many of my jewelry creations start out by picking up a rock. Gemstones are a wonder of nature and each seems to be unique in its own way. When distracted by a rough gemstone, I will  pick up the stone and study it. Then I will try to figure out the best way to cut it and shape it. I usually let the stone itself determine its final shape, let it become what it wants to be.

As I write this blog, I will add some of my thoughts about the art of jewelry making, as well as tutorials and tips.

I first started experimenting with silversmithing around 1980, inspired at the time by a book by Oscar Y. Branson, Indian Jewelry Making. Over the years I learned other techniques in classes or from books.

I enjoy lapidary work, finding my stones rock hunting or just searching local rock shop's piles of rough. I tumble a lot of material for free-form shapes. I also cut cabochons, mostly free-form, letting the stone itself determine the final shape, as I mentioned above.

I probably do more wire-wrap work currently, but from time to time, I will get an idea for a piece that can only be done with fabrication or metal clay. The metal clay I use is Art Clay because it uses recycled silver to make its clay.

Because I have a kiln, purchased for firing metal clay with some gemstones, I also experiment with glass fusing. A lot of my fusing uses dichroic or art glass, but I am also experimenting with recycling wine bottles.

What I may work on from day to day will change, depending on what shiny idea has me distracted at that time. Hence my name, SomethingShinyArt.

-Wayne

Moonstone cat's eye, wrapped with sterling silver wire.

No comments:

Post a Comment